Monday, November 26, 2012

Nerd Alert!

Two years ago a friend of mine introduced me to the amazing innovation of 3D printing, which will undoubtedly change the future of the production of products big and small. As a designer, 3D printing will allow me to create small scale prototypes of furniture, lighting, and entire homes. I read that MakerBot had just opened their first flagship store in my neighborhood, so I stopped in to check it out last week.

Not only can you purchase your very own 3D printer in their store, you can have a 3D bust of yourself made for $5!!! They also have ornaments, small figurines, model homes, helicopters, etc that you can purchase all for around $5 as well.

Here are some of the pictures I snapped of the store on my iPhone.

 Photo booth where they take your picture and turn it into a 3D bust of your head

 Color options for your bust

There are 3 different sizes you can choose from for your own 3D bust

 Examples of the 3D model homes that can be made with the 3D printer

The roofs are removable so you can make your very own dollhouse that matches your own home!

100% custom dollhouse + furniture

Here is a custom 3D house being made inside the 3D printer. 


Small figurines make great stocking stuffers

 
Helicopters make great Christmas gifts for boys (and men)





No comments:

Post a Comment