Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Event planning + interior design = a match made in heaven

I recently introduced my coworkers to Pinterest, and they are as hooked as I am. 90% of the time I use it as a resource for coming up with color schemes, room details, and finding images of a design concept I am trying to verbally explain to a client. The other 10% of the time, I find myself being inspired by categories that are not specifically interior design related. I was not surprised when fun outfits and fashion related "pins" under the Fashion category inspired color stories for various rooms, but I have to admit I was surprised when I kept finding myself pinning images under the Wedding and Events category. I have noticed when proposing obscure and unexpected color stories, clients become more open to the idea when shown examples of the color story as it appears in nature, fashion, and even from a wedding or event.

As an interior designer in the 25-35 age bracket, I am well aware that people in my age bracket are less likely to spend  $50,000 - $200,000 dollars decorating their homes, but they don't bat an eyelash when it comes to their wedding budgets. While I am blessed to be working in NYC where the average interior design budget is around 1 million, I know there are many young interior designers in smaller markets who would be thrilled to land a budget of 50k. I really believe event planning would be a great way for my fellow interior designers in the 25-35 age bracket to utilize their skills of color composition, spacial planning, and project management by tapping into the demand of event and wedding planning.

I am going to show you examples of how easily a wedding scheme can be translated into a room scheme.


Here are three very different wedding schemes and coordinating rooms...

Glamorous....Black & Gold






Translation....
The Radiator Building, New York, NY
Black and Gold Living Room



Bold....Jewel Tones










Room Translation...
 Dining Room by Katie Ridder




Romantic/Victorian....Blush and Black










Room Translation...




OR...Here is the same color scheme with a slightly different feel


 
 Romantic/Modern: Blush and Black









Room Translation....

images via Pinterest


When I was writing this post, I was tempted to share images of some of my favorite weddings of my dearest friends, but honestly I didn't want to share some and not others. I do want to encourage all of you to pick up the newest issue of Southern Living Weddings as my good friend Julie Solomon Backman's wedding is featured in the magazine this month!















3 comments:

  1. Hi, Do you know any NYC designers with a modern aesthetic who do $50K budgets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do. If you want to email me directly you may, vibranceandchaos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the basic aspects should be kept in mind while choosing the venue. It is very essential that the space where the events where they are taking place is also unique and admirable.


    ReplyDelete